Photo: James Carrier
Notes: Up to 1 day ahead, rinse lettuce and radicchio, separate the leaves, and drain. Wrap leaves in a towel, enclose in a plastic bag, and chill to crisp.
Yield: Makes 8 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 133
- Calories from fat: 44%
- Protein: 2.5g
- Fat: 6.6g
- Saturated fat: 0.6g
- Carbohydrate: 19g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Sodium: 9mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts
- 4 Satsuma tangerines (1 1/3 lb. total)
- 6 Medjool dates (1/4 lb. total)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 cups lightly packed 3-inch pieces rinsed and crisped butter lettuce (see notes)
- 3 cups lightly packed 3-inch pieces rinsed and crisped radicchio
- Salt and pepper
- 1. Put hazelnuts in an 8- or 9-inch pan. Bake in a 350° oven until golden beneath skins, 12 to 15 minutes. Pour onto a towel; let cool. Rub nuts in towel to remove loose skins. Lift nuts from towel and reserve; discard skins.
- 2. Grate 1/2 teaspoon peel from 1 tangerine. Cut tangerine in half and ream 1/4 cup juice; use another tangerine if necessary. Put peel and juice in a wide, shallow bowl. Peel remaining tangerines. Pull each apart into halves. Cut halves crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Add to bowl. Pit dates and quarter lengthwise. Add dates, lemon juice, and olive oil to bowl.
- 3. Add lettuce and radicchio to bowl, mix, and add salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with hazelnuts.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note