I wish I had read the reviews before I started this recipe. I too used a thermometer but before I knew it, it was curdled and lumpy. Very custardy. I would try it again I think.
Aunt Kat's Creamy Eggnog
- 1 quart milk
- 12 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup to 1 1/2 cups bourbon*
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg, divided
- 1 quart whipping cream
- Heat milk in a large saucepan over medium heat. (Do not boil.)
- Beat eggs and salt at medium speed with an electric mixer until thick and pale; gradually add sugar, beating well. Gradually stir about one-fourth of hot milk into egg mixture; add to remaining hot milk, stirring constantly.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, 25 to 30 minutes or until milk mixture thickens and reaches 160°.
- Stir in bourbon, vanilla, and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg. Remove from heat, and cool. Cover and chill up to 2 days.
- Beat whipping cream at medium speed with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Fold whipped cream into milk mixture. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg before serving.
*1 1/2 to 2 cups milk may be substituted for bourbon.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note