Aunt Ann's Coconut Cream Pie
Community Recipe from
- 2 Pie Shells baked
- 1 1/2 cup(s) Sugar
- 1/3 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 can(s) evaporated milk divided
- 1 can(s) water(use empty milk can)
- 6 eggs separated
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 1 bag(s) frozen coconut flakes divided
- 3/4 cup(s) sugar for meringue
- 1/3 teaspoon(s) cream of tartar for meringue
- Separate eggs, reserving egg whites for meringue.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups sugar and 1/3 cup flour in top of double boiler. Add about 1/3 can of milk to sugar and flour and stir to make paste. Add one egg yolk at a time stirring constantly. Add the remaining milk and the water. Continue stirring constantly until thickened. Remove from heat and add the vanilla and 1/2 of the coconut flakes.
- Pour mixture evenly into prepared (baked) pie shells and allow to cool completely.
- With electric mixer on high speed beat egg whites with cream of tartar. Add remaining sugar (3/4 cup) gradually( 1 tablespoon at a time). Continue to beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Cover pies evenly with the meringue. Sprinkle remaining coconut flakes on the meringue and bake in 300 degree oven until lightly browned.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by Cynruthie and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note