I am not sure why someone said 2 sticks of butter in this recipe. Not in the one I see. This recipe is also called Funeral Potatoes by some. I use cream of chicken (don't like mushrooms). I love this -- make sure the ratio of potato to the rest is correct -- I've seen people just toss in a bag of potatoes and lose the correct ratio. If you want a different twist, puree some green chilies and mix in with the cheese, sour cream, and cream of whatever soup. If you are used to eating a lot of salt and pepper on food, you may need to adjust for your taste. Yummy and great with many meals.
Au Gratin Potato Casserole
Make a cheesy, creamy potato casserole for your next family gathering or holiday meal. Make it easy with frozen hash browns, cream of mushroom soup and cornflakes cereal. You can also make it ahead and refrigerate until you are ready to bake.
- 1 (32-ounce) package frozen Southern-style hash browns
- 1 (16-ounce) container sour cream
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups crushed cornflakes cereal
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- Stir together first 6 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Spoon potato mixture into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with crushed cornflakes, and drizzle evenly with butter.
- Bake at 325° for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until bubbly.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Ore-Ida Southern Style Hash Browns.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note