Asparagus With Poached Eggs and Parmesan
Try this dish for breakfast or brunch. It features a simple poached egg served over asparagus spears cooked in a lemon-butter sauce.
More From Health
- Calories: 256
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated fat: 6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2g
- Protein: 18g
- Carbohydrate: 8g
- Fiber: 3g
- Cholesterol: 435mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 518mg
- Calcium: 147mg
- 8 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 bunches asparagus spears, trimmed (about 40)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons coarsely grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1. Break the eggs into 8 individual containers (such as teacups, prep bowls, or paper cups). Fill a large, low-sided pan with water, and add vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- 2. Meanwhile, bring a separate pot of water to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add asparagus spears, and cook 3–4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove asparagus with tongs, and set aside.
- 3. Dry the medium saucepan. Add olive oil, and heat over medium heat. Add garlic, and sauté about 1 minute. Turn off heat; add butter, and swirl pan. Add lemon juice, parsley, remaining salt, and pepper; swirl pan again to combine. Add asparagus and 2 tablespoons Parmesan; then toss with lemon-butter sauce to coat.
- 4. Slowly pour each egg into the boiling poaching water; cook 2 minutes. Turn off heat, and remove pan from burner. Divide asparagus among 4 plates. (Bring plates close to pan with poached eggs, and place a folded clean kitchen towel next to plates.)
- 5. Remove the eggs from water with a slotted spoon, 1 at a time, blotting bottom of spoon on towel to absorb excess moisture. Place 2 eggs on each mound of asparagus. Pour any remaining sauce over each serving, and sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This