Served this to company with grilled steaks and it was a huge hit
Asparagus with Balsamic Tomatoes
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 69
- Fat: 3.9g
- Saturated fat: 1.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 3g
- Carbohydrate: 6.5g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Cholesterol: 4mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 181mg
- Calcium: 45mg
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups halved grape tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons crumbled goat cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1. Cook asparagus in boiling water 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain.
- 2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add tomatoes and garlic; cook 5 minutes. Stir in vinegar; cook 3 minutes. Stir in salt. Arrange asparagus on a platter; top with tomato mixture. Sprinkle with cheese and pepper.
- Raisin and Pine Nut variation: Omit tomatoes, garlic, vinegar, and goat cheese. Cook 1/3 cup sliced red onion and 2 tablespoons pine nuts in oil for 4 minutes. Add 2 1/2 tablespoons orange juice, 3 tablespoons raisins, and 2 teaspoons honey; cook 2 minutes. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon orange rind. Spoon over asparagus; sprinkle with pepper. Yield: 4 servings.
- Calories 111; Fat 5.3g (sat 0.6g); Sodium 151mg
- Sesame-Ginger Glazed variation: Omit oil, tomatoes, vinegar, salt, cheese, and pepper. Microwave 1 tablespoon lower-sodium soy sauce, 1 teaspoon honey, 1 teaspoon lime juice, 1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger, and garlic on HIGH for 2 minutes. Drizzle over asparagus; sprinkle with 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds. Serve with lime wedges. Yield: 4 servings.
- Calories 43; Fat 0.8g (sat 0.1g); Sodium 134mg
- Lemon-Tarragon variation: Omit tomatoes, vinegar, and cheese; decrease pepper to 1/4 teaspoon. Combine 1/8 teaspoon lemon rind, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 2 teaspoons chopped tarragon, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon minced shallot, 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard, salt, pepper, and oil. Drizzle tarragon mixture over asparagus; toss gently to coat. Yield: 4 servings.
- Calories 49; Fat 2.3g (sat 0.3g); Sodium 153mg
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note