“Asparagus, Tofu, Shiitake, and Cashew Stir-Fry
Community Recipe from
- 1 Tofu
- Roasted peanut oil has an intensely nutty flavor that adds something special to this stir-fry. It can be found in most large supermarkets or health food stores. Tamari soy sauce is a special variety that has a more concentrated soy flavor. It can be found in most supermarkets in both regular and low-sodium varieties. Consider cooking up a larger batch of the brown rice and then saving leftovers for the Pad Thai–Style Fried Rice on page 273.
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 2 tablespoons roasted peanut oil or canola oil
- 1/2 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 pound thin fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut on the diagonal into 3-inch lengths
- 1/2 cup shiitake mushrooms (about 4 ounces), sliced
- 1 (16-ounce) package firm or extra-firm water-packed tofu, drained and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock or broth, divided
- 2 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 22/3 cups hot cooked brown or brown basmati rice
- 1. Place a large wok or nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add the cashews and 1 teaspoon oil
- “stir-fry for 2–3 minutes. Remove the mushrooms to the plate with the asparagus and keep warm. Add 2 teaspoons of oil to the pan and stir-fry the tofu for 3–4 minutes until the cubes are lightly browned. Remove the tofu to the plate with the vegetables and keep warm. Add 6 tablespoons of the broth, the soy sauce, and the vinegar to the pan; cook over medium-low heat for 2–3 minutes or until hot. Stir together the remaining 2 tablespoons of broth and the cornstarch. Add to the pan and cook for 1 minute or until the mixture thickens. Return the tofu and vegetables to the pan and toss gently in the sauce to reheat. Serve over cooked brown rice.
- Yield: 4 servings; Serving: 11/3 cups stir-fry mixture, 2/3 cup brown rice
This recipe is a personal recipe added by pamswearingen and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note