Photo: Annabelle Breakey; Styling: Kevin Crafts
More From Sunset
Chill: 1 Hour
Amount per serving
- Calories: 103
- Calories from fat: 62%
- Protein: 2.7g
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated fat: 0.9g
- Carbohydrate: 8.2g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Sodium: 208mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- About 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup ponzu sauce*
- 1 tablespoon sliced green onion
- About 1 qt. vegetable oil for frying
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed
- 1. Mix flour, cornstarch, cayenne, garlic powder, and 1/2 tsp. salt in a medium bowl. Add olive oil, then slowly drizzle in 3/4 cup cold water, whisking constantly until mixture is smooth. Cover and chill at least 1 hour.
- 2. Pour ponzu into a small bowl and sprinkle with green onion. Set aside.
- 3. Pour 1 in. vegetable oil into a large, wide pot. Insert a deep-fry thermometer; heat over high heat to 375°.
- 4. Meanwhile, beat egg whites with a mixer until soft peaks form. Using a rubber spatula, fold whites into batter. Transfer batter to a wide, shallow bowl.
- 5. Drop a few asparagus stalks into batter. One by one, transfer asparagus to hot oil. Cook until light golden brown, turning as needed, about 4 minutes. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with more salt if you like. Repeat with remaining asparagus. Serve with ponzu.
- *Find ponzu in the Asian foods aisle.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This