the onions were a great addition to this dish! would have been good even without the cream.
Asparagus, Spring Onion, and Morel Mushroom Sauté
Sweet asparagus and spring onions go so well with the woodsy flavor of morels. All you need is a bit of butter and some crème fraîche to finish the dish. Prep and Cook Time: 45 minutes. Notes: If you can find fresh morels, definitely splurge on them; the flavor is unparalleled. Be sure to clean both dried and fresh morels well before using, to avoid unpleasant sandy bites. We like to peel the tough outer skin from the asparagus for this dish. This not only makes it prettier but results in more tender stalks. If you like, blanch the vegetables the day before, then wrap them in moistened paper towels, put in a plastic storage bag, and refrigerate.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 174
- Calories from fat: 78%
- Protein: 3.4g
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated fat: 9.5g
- Carbohydrate: 7.6g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sodium: 347mg
- Cholesterol: 37mg
- 1/3 pound fresh morel mushrooms or 1 oz. dried (see Notes)
- 3 bunches asparagus, ends trimmed and stalks peeled (see Notes)
- 3 bunches green onions, white and pale green parts only, root ends trimmed
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. If using dried morels, put them in a small bowl, cover with 1 cup boiling water, and let stand 10 minutes. Lift out and pat dry.
- 2. Meanwhile, generously salt remaining boiling water. Fill a large bowl with ice and cold water and set near the stove. Add asparagus to boiling water and cook until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Remove from water and immediately plunge into ice bath to stop cooking. Repeat process with green onions. Drain asparagus and onions on paper towels, then cut asparagus spears in half.
- 3. In a large frying pan over medium-low heat, melt butter. Add morels, asparagus, and onions and cook 1 minute, tossing gently to coat with butter. Stir in crème fraîche and season with salt and pepper. Continue cooking until heated through, 4 minutes longer. Transfer to a serving dish.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note