I love asparagus, but this recipe just lacked flavor. the only thing that saved the recipe was the mushrooms.
Asparagus Soup with Cheese Croutons
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 86
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fat: 2.6g
- Saturated fat: 1.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Protein: 4.3g
- Carbohydrate: 11.9g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Cholesterol: 6mg
- Iron: 0.9mg
- Sodium: 234mg
- Calcium: 64mg
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 8 (1/2-ounce) slices French bread
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded Gouda cheese
- 1/4 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground green peppercorns
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- Place chicken broth and asparagus in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a simmer. Cook 8 minutes or until asparagus is tender. Remove from heat.
- Heat butter and olive oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add sliced shiitake mushrooms to pan; cook 3 minutes or until mushrooms begin to brown. Set aside.
- Preheat broiler.
- Place bread on a baking sheet covered with foil; coat bread with cooking spray. Broil 2 minutes or until golden brown. Turn bread over, and sprinkle evenly with cheese. Broil 2 minutes or until cheese bubbles.
- Pour asparagus mixture into a blender. Add rice, peppercorns, and salt; puree until smooth. Ladle 1/2 cup soup into each of 8 bowls; top evenly with mushrooms. Top each serving with 1 crouton.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Asparagus Soup with Cheese Croutons Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Soups/Stews