This was very easy to make and tasty too. If you are looking for a good use of fresh asparagus for a light meal this recipe would be perfect. If I was looking for a heartier meal, then I would add less liquid and make it a bit thicker.
More From Southern Living
Bake: 16 Minutes
Cool: 10 Minutes
- 1 pound fresh asparagus
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 medium-size red potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Snap off and discard tough ends of asparagus. Coat asparagus lightly with cooking spray, and arrange in an aluminum foil-lined jelly-roll pan. Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. kosher salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper.
- 2. Bake at 400° for 16 minutes or until tender and slightly browned, turning after 8 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool.
- 3. Meanwhile, melt 2 Tbsp. butter in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add onion, and cook, stirring frequently, 3 minutes or until tender. Add remaining butter, and stir until melted. Add potatoes, and cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes. Stir in chicken broth. Bring to boil; reduce heat to medium, and simmer 6 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 4. Chop asparagus into 1/4-inch pieces. Add chopped asparagus to soup; cook, stirring occasionally, 4 minutes. Remove from heat, and let cool 10 minutes.
- 5. Process asparagus mixture, in batches, in a blender or food processor 8 to 10 seconds or until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides. Return asparagus mixture to Dutch oven. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note