- 1 (10 1/2-ounce) can asparagus spears, un-drained
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 eggs, separated
- Drain asparagus, reserving liquid. Finely chop asparagus. Combine asparagus and liquid to yield 1 cup, discarding any fibrous pieces. Set mixture aside.
- Melt butter in top of a double boiler over boiling water; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually stir in milk; add asparagus mixture and salt.
- Cook over boiling water, stirring constantly, until mixture coats a metal spoon. Remove from heat.
- Beat egg yolks. Add one-fourth of hot asparagus sauce to yolks, stirring well; return to hot mixture. Cook over boiling water, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat and cool.
- Beat egg whites (at room temperature) until stiff but not dry. Fold into asparagus mixture. Spoon into a greased 1 1/2-quart souffle dish. Bake at 325° for 1 hour or until golden brown.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This