Asparagus Sole Rolls
Notes: All sole are members of the flounder family. You'll find the largest variety at a fish market. Choices may include petrale, English, sand, and Rex sole, starry flounder, and sand dabs (usually whole). Boned sole fillets vary considerably in size --from 2 to 8 ounces, depending upon the variety. Some fillets are skinned, others aren't, as the skin is very thin and tender. To make this dish, choose thin fillets; thicker pieces will take a bit longer to cook.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 248
- Calories from fat: 36%
- Protein: 35g
- Fat: 9.9g
- Saturated fat: 5.3g
- Carbohydrate: 4.5g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Sodium: 221mg
- Cholesterol: 102mg
- 1 pound asparagus (1/2 in. thick)
- 1 1/2 pounds boned sole fillets (4 to 12, about 1/4 in. thick and 2 to 3 in. wide--cut wide pieces in half lengthwise; see notes)
- Wine sauce (recipe follows)
- Salt and pepper
- 1. Rinse asparagus; snap off and discard tough ends. In a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over high heat, bring 1/2 inch water to a boil. Add asparagus and simmer, stirring occasionally, until barely tender when pierced, about 2 minutes; drain.
- 2. Meanwhile, rinse sole and lay pieces flat (if unskinned, skin up). Align an equal portion of asparagus, tips in same direction, at 1 end and across the narrow width of each fillet; roll fillet to enclose asparagus. Set sole, seam down, in a buttered, shallow 2 1/2- to 3-quart casserole. Cover tightly with foil.
- 3. Bake in a 425° regular or convection oven until fish is opaque but moist-looking in center of thickest part (cut to test), 12 to 16 minutes.
- 4. Spoon wine sauce over fish and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Wine sauce. In a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over medium-high heat, frequently stir 2 tablespoons each butter or margarine and minced shallots until golden, about 3 minutes. Add 3/4 cup dry white wine. Boil on high heat, stirring occasionally, until reduced to 1/4 cup, 5 to 7 minutes. Use hot or warm.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes