I make this all the time now and everyone enjoys it. The only difference is that I put it over steamed rice.
Asparagus and Shrimp Stir-Fry on Noodle Pillows
Notes: Prepare the ingredients for this stir-fry while the noodle pillows bake; cook the mixture (step 2) just before the pillows are done.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 594
- Calories from fat: 21%
- Protein: 42g
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Carbohydrate: 75g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Sodium: 720mg
- Cholesterol: 173mg
- 1 1/2 pounds asparagus, rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 pound shelled, deveined shrimp (31 to 40 per lb.), rinsed
- 4 noodle pillows (see below)
- 1. Snap tough stem ends off asparagus. Cut spears at a 45° angle into 1/2-inch-thick slices. In a small bowl, mix broth, soy sauce, cornstarch, and white pepper.
- 2. Set a 14-inch wok or 12-inch frying pan over high heat. When hot, add oil, ginger, and garlic; stir until garlic begins to turn golden, about 30 seconds. Stir in asparagus and add 3 tablespoons water; cover and cook just until asparagus is bright green, 1 to 2 minutes. Add shrimp and stir, uncovered, until they are opaque in center of thickest part (cut to test), 2 to 3 minutes.
- 3. Stir broth mixture and add to pan; stir until sauce boils and thickens. Add salt to taste.
- 4. Set a noodle pillow on each of four dinner plates. Spoon shrimp and asparagus stir-fry equally over noodle pillows.
- Making noodle pillows:
- 1. In a 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat, bring 3 quarts water to a boil. Add 12 ounces dried thin Asian wheat noodles or dried vermicelli pasta and stir to separate. Cook until barely tender to bite, 3 to 7 minutes. Drain and return to pan. Mix in 2 tablespoons Asian sesame oil and salt to taste.
- 2. Divide noodles into four equal portions; set each mound about 2 inches apart on two 10- by 15-inch nonstick baking pans. Pat each into a 1/2-inch-thick round.
- 3. Bake pillows in a 425° oven until most of surface is crisp and browned, 15 to 20 minutes (switch pan positions halfway through baking). Serve hot.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note