I omitted the chives and substituted bacon for the prosciutto because that's what I had on hand and this was still quite good (even though I overcooked the eggs a bit -- definitely watch that simmer level!). I love the idea of trying this with smoked salmon next time!
Asparagus Salad with Soft Poached Eggs, Prosciutto, and Lemon-Chive Vinaigrette
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Cindy Barr
Eggs are a great source of protein plus zinc, iron, and lutein. Serve with 100 percent whole-grain toast and a fresh fruit salad for a filling brunch.
Yield: 4 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 219
- Fat: 16.7g
- Saturated fat: 3.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 10g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2g
- Protein: 12.3g
- Carbohydrate: 6g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Cholesterol: 221mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 417mg
- Calcium: 64mg
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 1/4 teaspoons freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh chives
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed
- 8 thin slices prosciutto (about 2 ounces)
- 4 large eggs
- Cooking spray
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh chives (optional)
- 1. Combine first 7 ingredients in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Gradually add olive oil, stirring well with a whisk.
- 2. Steam asparagus, covered, for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water; drain. Arrange 2 prosciutto slices in the center of each of 4 plates. Arrange asparagus spears evenly over prosciutto.
- 3. Add water to a large skillet, filling two-thirds full; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer. Break eggs into each of 4 (6-ounce) custard cups coated with cooking spray. Place custard cups in simmering water in pan. Cover pan; cook 10 minutes. Remove custard cups from water, and carefully remove eggs from cups. Arrange 1 egg over each serving, and drizzle with about 1 tablespoon dressing. Sprinkle each serving with 1 teaspoon chives, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads