Very nice recipe! I got my Piquillo Peppers at spainbestforless.com...they have the best Spanish ingredients at the best prices!
Asparagus Salad with Piquillo Peppers and Capers (Ensalada de Espárragos con Alcaparras)
If you don't have a mortar and pestle to grind the garlic paste, you can always use a small heavy bowl and the back of a wooden spoon. A food processor works, too; be sure to scrape the sides down halfway through processing, and process again to achieve a smooth paste. If you can't find piquillo peppers, you can substitute roasted red peppers. Steam the asparagus and combine the ingredients for the dressing a day ahead; store them separately in the refrigerator.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 51
- Calories from fat: 42%
- Fat: 2.4g
- Saturated fat: 0.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 2.4g
- Carbohydrate: 4.7g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 0.5mg
- Sodium: 212mg
- Calcium: 23mg
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallots
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped roasted piquillo peppers
- 2 tablespoons chopped seeded peeled plum tomato
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extravirgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound asparagus spears, steamed and cooled
- 1 hard-cooked large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons capers
- Place 1 tablespoon parsley, shallots, salt, and garlic in a mortar or small bowl; grind with a pestle until mixture forms a smooth paste. Stir in piquillo peppers and tomato. Add vinegar, oil, mustard, and black pepper; stir well to combine. Place asparagus in a shallow dish, and drizzle with pepper mixture. Gently toss asparagus and pepper mixture, using a serving fork and spoon. Place asparagus on a serving platter.
- Cut egg in half lengthwise; remove and reserve the yolk for another use. Chop egg white. Sprinkle egg white, capers, and remaining tablespoon of parsley evenly over asparagus.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note