Great flavor and presentation. Would definately make again for a special occasion. Perfect for Spring.
Asparagus and Prosciutto Strata
Eggs and asparagus are a perfect pair, accented with salty prosciutto, chives, and lemon. Prep and Cook Time: about 1 1/4 hours, plus at least 1 hour to chill.
Yield: Makes 8 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 332
- Calories from fat: 52%
- Protein: 23g
- Fat: 19g
- Saturated fat: 7.1g
- Carbohydrate: 28g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Sodium: 915mg
- Cholesterol: 197mg
- 1 pound asparagus, tough stem ends snapped off, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1 loaf (3/4 lb.) crusty, artisan-style bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, cut into 1/2-inch-thick strips
- 1 1/4 cups shredded parmesan or asiago cheese (about 5 oz.)
- 1/2 cup chopped chives
- 6 large eggs
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a medium pan over high heat, bring about 2 quarts water to a boil. Add asparagus and cook until bright green and barely tender, about 2 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- 2. Spread half the bread cubes in a lightly oiled 9- by 13-inch baking pan. Top with half the prosciutto, cooked asparagus, cheese, and chives. Layer remaining bread cubes on top, followed by remaining prosciutto, asparagus, cheese, and chives.
- 3. In a bowl, whisk eggs, milk, lemon peel, salt, and pepper to blend. Pour evenly over layered ingredients. Cover and chill at least 1 hour.
- 4. Bake until center of strata is set and top is lightly browned, 40 to 50 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note