- 1 pound asparagus, tough stem ends snapped off, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1 loaf (3/4 lb.) crusty, artisan-style bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, cut into 1/2-inch-thick strips
- 1 1/4 cups shredded parmesan or asiago cheese (about 5 oz.)
- 1/2 cup chopped chives
- 6 large eggs
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- calories 332
- caloriesfromfat 52 %
- protein 23 g
- fat 19 g
- satfat 7.1 g
- carbohydrate 28 g
- fiber 1.6 g
- sodium 915 mg
- cholesterol 197 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 350°. In a medium pan over high heat, bring about 2 quarts water to a boil. Add asparagus and cook until bright green and barely tender, about 2 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.
Spread half the bread cubes in a lightly oiled 9- by 13-inch baking pan. Top with half the prosciutto, cooked asparagus, cheese, and chives. Layer remaining bread cubes on top, followed by remaining prosciutto, asparagus, cheese, and chives.
In a bowl, whisk eggs, milk, lemon peel, salt, and pepper to blend. Pour evenly over layered ingredients. Cover and chill at least 1 hour.
Bake until center of strata is set and top is lightly browned, 40 to 50 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.