Asparagus Pie 2
This hearty quiche is as attractive as it is flavorful; it looks complicated to make but is actually simple. The secret is the crust - it's refrigerated pizza dough seasoned with basil and Parmesan cheese. The asparagus spokes are what make this pie special. Serving Accompaniments: Spiced Sausage Patties and Frothy Orange-Pineapple Cooler. Recipe published in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2006.
Stand: 10 Minutes
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1/4 pound(s) fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 2 teaspoon(s) canola oil
- 1/2 cup(s) grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoon(s) dried basil
- 1 package(s) (13.8 ounces) refrigerated pizza crust
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup(s) milk
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 dash(es) ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cup(s) (6 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 tablespoon(s) all-purpose flour
- • In a large saucepan, bring 1/2 in. of water to a boil. Add asparagus; cover and boil for 3 minutes. Drain and immediately place asparagus in ice water. Drain and pat dry. Toss with oil; set aside.
- • In a small bowl, combine Parmesan cheese and basil; sprinkle half over work surface. Place pizza dough on surface; roll into a 12-in. circle. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan mixture; gently press into dough with a rolling pin. Transfer to a greased 9-in. springform pan. Press dough onto the bottom and 1-1/2 in. up the sides of pan.
- • Line unpricked dough with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 425° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Place on a wire rack. Reduce heat to 350°.
- • In a small skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; using a slotted spoon, remove bacon to paper towels. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. In the drippings, saute onion until tender; drain.
- • In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, salt and nutmeg. Stir in onion and reserved bacon. Toss the Swiss cheese and flour; stir into egg mixture. Pour into the crust. Arrange asparagus in a spoke-like pattern on top.
- • Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before removing sides of pan. Cut into wedges.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note