- 1 (16-ounce) package penne pasta
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus (about 1 pound)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup pecan halves, toasted and divided
- Garnishes: freshly grated Parmesan cheese, freshly ground pepper
How to Make It
Prepare pasta according to package directions; rinse and drain.
Snap off tough ends of asparagus, and cut into 2-inch pieces.
Sauté asparagus in hot oil in a large skillet over medium heat 4 minutes. Stir in red bell pepper and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, 2 minutes. Stir in chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 2 minutes or until asparagus is crisp-tender. Stir in salt and pepper.
Toss together pasta, asparagus mixture, basil, 1/2 cup cheese, butter, and 1/2 cup pecans. Sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/4 cup cheese and 1/2 cup pecans. Garnish, if desired.