This was fantastic! I don't normally buy asparagus as I don't like it much, but they had some fresh at the grocery store so I got some. Did a quick search on Cooking Light and came up with this recipe. Omitted mushrooms and marjoram as I didn't have any on hand and substituted veggie rotini pasta, jarred bell peppers (drained) and reduced red pepper so it was kid friendly. Everyone loved it!! Very easy and very tasty, with lots of flavor!
Asparagus and Parmesan Pasta Toss
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 124
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated fat: 1.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 7.1g
- Carbohydrate: 16.5g
- Fiber: 3.7g
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- Iron: 2.4mg
- Sodium: 456mg
- Calcium: 104mg
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 pound uncooked mostaccioli pasta (tube-shaped pasta)
- Cooking spray
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups presliced mushrooms
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 3/4 cups (1-inch) pieces asparagus (about 12 ounces)
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan, divided
- Preheat broiler.
- Cut bell pepper in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand. Broil 15 minutes or until blackened. Place in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 10 minutes. Peel and cut into strips.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add garlic, and cook for 1 minute. Add mushrooms; cook 4 minutes or until liquid evaporates. Add bell pepper, crushed red pepper, and the next 5 ingredients (through tomatoes). Bring to a simmer; cook for 7 minutes. Stir in asparagus; cook 4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Combine mushroom mixture, pasta, and 1/4 cup cheese in a large bowl, tossing well to combine. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup cheese over pasta.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes