So delicious! I made this for a spring appetizer and it turned out absolutely wonderful in taste and in presentation. I did substitute baby cremini mushrooms in place of the morels. Served with a nicely chilled bottle of Chardonnay.
Asparagus and Morel Quiche
Umami-delicious morels pop up in Western woods and orchards, and make plump, savory nuggets in this quiche. For the neatest slices, make quiche a day ahead; let it cool, loosen it from pan edges, and chill. Cut into wedges, then reheat.
More From Sunset
Cool Time: 30 Minutes
- Calories: 362
- Calories from fat: 65%
- Protein: 11g
- Fat: 26g
- Saturated fat: 15g
- Carbohydrate: 21g
- Fiber: 3.7g
- Sodium: 411mg
- Cholesterol: 149mg
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour or all-purpose flour
- 10 tablespoon cold butter, cut into chunks
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 ounce dried morel mushrooms
- 1 cup slender asparagus, cut in 2-in. pieces
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded gruyère cheese
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1. In a food processor, whirl flour and butter until mixture looks like cornmeal. Add 1 egg and whirl until dough holds together. Press evenly over bottom and 1 1/4 in. up side of a 9-in. springform pan; chill.
- 2. Preheat oven to 375°. Soak mushrooms in a small bowl with 1 cup hot water until softened, 15 to 20 minutes, swishing them around every so often. Gently squeeze out liquid. Cut in half lengthwise if large. Save liquid for another use.
- 3. Blanch asparagus in a saucepan of boiling water until barely tender-crisp, about 45 seconds. Drain, transfer to a bowl of ice water, and cool. Drain and pat dry.
- 4. In a bowl, whisk remaining 2 eggs to blend. Whisk in half-and-half, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle gruyère and onion in prepared crust, then arrange asparagus and morels on top. Pour egg mixture over vegetables.
- 5. Bake quiche on bottom rack until filling no longer jiggles when gently shaken, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool in pan on a rack at least 30 minutes. Loosen quiche from pan rim with a knife, remove rim, and slice. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note