This is so weirdly good! Love the pesto/ham/asparagus combo. We've made it several times now. Like some other reviewers here, I have no idea how you're supposed to fit 8 asparagus spears on 1 piece of bread - we usually put 3-4 spears on each piece.
Asparagus Melt with Pesto Spread
Randy Mayor; Melanie J. Clarke
Yield: 2 servings (serving size: 1 sandwich)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 343
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 11.5g
- Saturated fat: 4.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 21.7g
- Carbohydrate: 40.7g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Cholesterol: 31mg
- Iron: 3.6mg
- Sodium: 1041mg
- Calcium: 324mg
- 16 asparagus spears
- 3 tablespoons fat-free mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon commercial pesto
- 2 (2-ounce) slices sourdough bread, toasted
- 2 (1-ounce) thin slices ham
- 4 (1/4-inch-thick) slices tomato
- 2 (1-ounce) slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Snap off tough ends of asparagus. Steam, covered, 2 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Preheat broiler.
- Combine mayonnaise and pesto in a bowl, and stir with a whisk. Spread 2 tablespoons pesto mixture onto 1 side of each bread slice. Layer each slice with 8 asparagus spears, 1 ham slice, 2 tomato slices, and 1 cheese slice. Place on a baking sheet; broil 3 minutes or until cheese melts. Sprinkle with pepper.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note