I enjoyed this recipe and it was quite easy to make. I served it alongside swordfish, but I think it would work best with a nice green salad. This dish reminds me of spring time.
In this recipe, a stack of phyllo is cut into a circle and fitted, like a piecrust, into a tart pan. None of the dough goes to waste; the scraps are chopped and placed on top of the crust. A standard dinner plate is 10 inches in diameter; use it to estimate the 11-inch circle you'll cut from the dough.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 240
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated fat: 3.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 12.2g
- Carbohydrate: 30.1g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Cholesterol: 67mg
- Iron: 2.2mg
- Sodium: 482mg
- Calcium: 133mg
- 16 thin asparagus spears, trimmed (about 8 ounces)
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 (18 x 14-inch) sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded fontina cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded peeled Yukon gold potato (about 4 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Cut asparagus spears 4 inches from tips; reserve tips. Coarsely chop remaining asparagus; set aside.
- Combine egg whites and egg in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add milk, salt, nutmeg, and pepper. Stir in chopped asparagus.
- Place 1 phyllo sheet on a large cutting board or work surface (cover the remaining dough to prevent drying); lightly coat with cooking spray. Repeat layers with remaining phyllo and cooking spray, ending with phyllo. Gently press phyllo layers together. Lightly coat top phyllo sheet with cooking spray.
- Cut phyllo stack into an 11-inch circle using a sharp knife; coarsely chop excess dough. Carefully place phyllo circle into a 9-inch tart pan coated with cooking spray; gently press phyllo into pan. Fold edges over. Sprinkle chopped dough over phyllo circle; top with 1/4 cup cheese and potato. Place tart pan on a foil-lined baking sheet. Pour egg mixture into tart shell. Arrange asparagus spokelike on top of egg mixture with tips toward outside of pan, and sprinkle evenly with 1/4 cup cheese. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes. Loosely cover tart with foil. Bake an additional 5 minutes or until tart is set.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note