- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash of white pepper
- 2 (15-ounce) cans asparagus spears, drained
- 3 tablespoons fine, dry breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Add salt and pepper, mixing well.
- Layer half each of asparagus spears, white sauce, breadcrumbs, and cheese in a lightly greased 10- x 6- x 2-inch baking dish. Repeat layers, reserving cheese. Set cheese aside.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes; sprinkle with remaining cheese, and continue baking 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Serve hot.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This