My husband's not a huge fan of salads, but proclaimed this "damned elegant!" He then proceeded to demolish all of the remaining salad in the bowl. I made this quite a few times when we first got the recipe, and have been waiting anxiously for asparagus to come back into season so I can make it again!
Asparagus and Butterhead Lettuce Salad
The texture of butterhead lettuce keeps this salad light and delicate. Prep Time: 30 minutes. Notes: You can use any tender, sweet lettuce in place of butterhead. Find perlini mozzarella at specialty grocery stores and Italian markets, or use a 4-oz. piece of fresh mozzarella grated on the large holes of a box grater or cut into 1/4-in. pieces.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 240
- Calories from fat: 75%
- Protein: 11g
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated fat: 6.4g
- Carbohydrate: 7.2g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sodium: 411mg
- Cholesterol: 25mg
- 1 bunch asparagus (about 1 lb.)
- 2 heads butterhead lettuce such as Boston or Bibb (see Notes)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly shredded lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dry mustard
- 4 ounces perlini mozzarella (tiny balls; see Notes)
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1. Hold the end of an asparagus stalk and bend until it snaps off. Repeat with remaining stalks and discard woody ends. Slice trimmed spears on the diagonal into 1/8-in. lengths, leaving tips about 1 in. long.
- 2. Remove and discard outer leaves of lettuce heads. Tear remaining leaves into bite-size pieces. Rinse and dry. Set aside.
- 3. In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, honey, salt, lemon zest, pepper, and dry mustard until creamy-looking.
- 4. In a large bowl, toss lettuce with 3 tbsp. dressing. Divide lettuce among 4 salad plates. Toss asparagus pieces with remaining dressing and spoon over lettuces, dividing evenly. Sprinkle salads with perlini and pine nuts. Serve immediately.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads