Asparagus and Beet Salad
Notes: For variety, and if you have time, replace canned beets with 2 cups cooked and sliced fresh yellow beets. Up to 1 day ahead, cover chilled cooked asparagus and cooked fresh beets and refrigerate.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 106
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Protein: 5.2g
- Fat: 3.3g
- Saturated fat: 0.3g
- Carbohydrate: 16g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Sodium: 210mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1/2 pound asparagus
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 can (15 oz.) sliced beets
- 1 can (15 oz.) garbanzos
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons roasted, salted pistachios
- 1. Snap off tough ends of asparagus. Cut spears diagonally into 1-inch lengths.
- 2. In a 10- to 12-inch frying pan, bring about 1 inch water to a boil. Add asparagus and cook just until tender-crisp when pierced, about 3 minutes. Transfer asparagus with a slotted spoon to a large bowl of ice water. Lift out when cold.
- 3. Dry the frying pan and add cumin. Stir over low heat just until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Pour cumin into a wide bowl and add lemon juice.
- 4. Drain beets and garbanzos, rinse with cool water, and drain again. Add to bowl along with asparagus, onion, cilantro, and pistachios. Mix and add salt to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads