- 1 (1-ounce) slice white bread
- 3 3/4 cups uncooked extra-broad egg noodles
- 2 1/2 cups (1 1/2-inch) sliced asparagus
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed ham (about 8 ounces)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- calories 250
- caloriesfromfat 26 %
- fat 7.1 g
- satfat 3.4 g
- monofat 2.4 g
- polyfat 0.7 g
- protein 16 g
- carbohydrate 30.9 g
- fiber 2.7 g
- cholesterol 52 mg
- iron 2.6 mg
- sodium 835 mg
- calcium 114 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 450°.
Place bread in a food processor, and pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs form to measure 1/2 cup.
Cook pasta in boiling water 7 minutes, omitting salt and fat. Add asparagus; cook 1 minute. Drain.
Lightly spoon the flour into a dry measuring cup, and level with a knife. Place flour, thyme, salt, and pepper in medium bowl; gradually add milk and broth, stirring with a whisk until well-blended. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion; saute 4 minutes. Add milk mixture; cook until thick (about 4 minutes), stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and stir in juice. Combine the pasta mixture, milk mixture, ham, and parsley in large bowl; spoon into a 2-quart casserole. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and cheese.
Bake at 450° for 10 minutes or until filling is bubbly and topping is golden.