Instead of Green Peas use "Pigeon Green Peas" (Gandures/Gandules) for a more traditional taste. I used boneless chicken breasts and it's supper yummy and little less fat.
Asopao de Pollo (Traditional Chicken Asopao)
The Puerto Rican dish asopao de pollo, a cross between soup and paella, is an easy, hearty one-dish meal featuring juicy chicken thighs, diced lean ham, rice, and assorted seasonings.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 561
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated fat: 3.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 9.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.8g
- Protein: 37.3g
- Carbohydrate: 63.2g
- Fiber: 5.1g
- Cholesterol: 118mg
- Iron: 6.5mg
- Sodium: 999mg
- Calcium: 72mg
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 chicken thighs (about 3 pounds), skinned
- 2 tablespoons Annatto Oil or olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups Sofrito
- 3/4 cup diced plum tomato
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked medium-grain rice
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup diced lean ham (about 2 ounces)
- 1 (4.4-ounce) bottle alcaparrado (such as Goya), drained, or 3/4 cup pitted green olives and 1/4 cup capers
- 4 cups water
- 1 (15.75-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- Combine the first 4 ingredients in a small bowl. Sprinkle chicken with the oregano mixture.
- Heat Annatto Oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken; cook 8 minutes, turning once. Reduce heat to medium. Add Sofrito and tomato; cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add rice, wine, ham, and alcaparrado; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the water and chicken broth; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in the peas, and cook for 5 minutes or until the rice is tender.
Alcaparrado is a mixture of whole green olives, pimentos, and capers; look for it in the Latin section of the supermarket or in Latino markets. Be sure to let your guests know that the olives from the bottled mixture aren't pitted.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This