Used 2/3 as much liquid and it was STOCK. I can't imagine using water--how tasteless! Hate parsnips so left them out and used fresh shitakes instead of dried and added garlic to the onion mixture. Also browned the tofu separately and added to the soup at the very end of cooking (after vegetables were soft) so as to keep a crispy texture--sort of like crutons. So a good basic recipe that needs some tweaking.
Asian Root Vegetable Stew
Photo: Karry Hosford
Kombu, a dried dark seaweed, is available in Asian specialty markets. If you can't find it, add 1/4 teaspoon salt instead. This stew is good served over hot cooked rice.
Yield: 5 servings (serving size: about 2 1/3 cups)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 276
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 8.5g
- Saturated fat: 1.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 4.5g
- Protein: 16.5g
- Carbohydrate: 33.5g
- Fiber: 5.1g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 3.6mg
- Sodium: 873mg
- Calcium: 123mg
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 pounds extra-firm tofu, drained and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup (1-inch) cubed peeled daikon radish
- 1 cup (1-inch-thick) slices parsnip
- 1 cup (1-inch) cubed peeled rutabaga
- 1 cup (1-inch-thick) slices carrot
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mirin (sweet rice wine)
- 6 dried shiitake mushrooms (about 1/3 ounce)
- 1 (3-inch square) piece kombu seaweed
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- Heat vegetable oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add 2 cups onion, and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add tofu; cook 5 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Add 6 cups water, daikon, and next 7 ingredients (daikon through kombu); bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes.
- Combine 6 tablespoons water and cornstarch, stirring with a whisk. Stir cornstarch mixture into stew; bring to a boil. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Discard kombu. Stir in sesame oil; sprinkle with green onions.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This