- 1 (8-ounce) package soba or udon noodles
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup mirin (sweet rice wine)
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 pound soft tofu, drained and patted dry
- 4 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 cup thinly sliced daikon radish
- 1 cup matchstick-cut carrots, peeled
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
- Hot sauce for drizzling over top (optional)
- Dark sesame oil for drizzling over top (optional)
- calories 410
- fat 8 g
- satfat 1 g
- monofat 0.0 g
- polyfat 0.0 g
- protein 26 g
- carbohydrate 60 g
- fiber 6 g
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
- iron 4 mg
- sodium 901 mg
- calcium 174 mg
How to Make It
Cook noodles according to package directions, about 8 to 10 minutes, omitting salt and fat. Drain and divide among 4 large serving bowls.
Combine water, soy sauce, mirin, vinegar, and ginger in a small saucepan over medium heat; bring to a simmer. Add tofu or steak; simmer 4 minutes or until cooked through.
Divide lettuce, radish, carrot, and green onions among the bowls. Ladle hot broth and tofu or steak over noodles.
Drizzle each serving with a few drops of hot sauce and sesame oil, if desired.
Nutritional analysis with beef: Calories 547 (24% from fat); Fat 15g (sat 5g, mono 7g, poly 1g); Cholesterol 68mg; Protein 43g; Carbohydrate 59g; Sugars 8g; Fiber 5g; Iron 5mg; Sodium 973mg; Calcium 62mg