Good dinner for a weeknight. The flavors were powerful ginger, jalapeño and garlic. I would have reduced the cooking times for all steps after the onion, garlic, jalapeño, and ginger - the vegetables were a little over-cooked. I used fresh shiitake mushrooms instead of the dried mushrooms - I think this was a good call. Very healthy!
Asian Noodle, Tofu, and Vegetable Stir-Fry
Stir-fries feel so easy and undemanding. This one is even more so because it has cellophane noodles right in it, making it a one-dish meal. Soaked dried mushrooms add flavor to the stock.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 cups)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 195
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 6.4g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.8g
- Protein: 10.3g
- Carbohydrate: 27.4g
- Fiber: 6.1g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 2.6mg
- Sodium: 539mg
- Calcium: 206mg
- 2 ounces uncooked bean threads (cellophane noodles)
- 1/2 ounce dried wood ear mushrooms (about 6)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil or vegetable oil
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced seeded jalapeÃ±o pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups (1/4-inch) diagonally sliced carrot (about 1 pound)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 7 cups (1-inch) sliced bok choy
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 (12.3-ounce) package reduced-fat firm tofu, cubed
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil or chili oil
- Place noodles in a large bowl; cover with warm water. Let stand 20 minutes. Drain; set aside.
- Combine the mushrooms and boiling water in a bowl; let stand for 20 minutes. Strain through a sieve into a bowl, reserving the mushroom liquid. Cut mushrooms into strips.
- Heat peanut oil in a wok or nonstick Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, jalapeño, ginger, and garlic; stir-fry for 1 minute. Add mushrooms, carrot, and salt; stir-fry 2 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup reserved mushroom liquid; cover and cook 3 minutes or until carrots are crisp-tender and liquid evaporates.
- Add bok choy; stir-fry 1 minute. Stir in noodles, remaining mushroom liquid, soy sauce, and tofu; cook for 2 minutes.
- Combine 3 tablespoons water and cornstarch; pour into pan. Bring to a boil; cook 2 minutes or until slightly thick. Drizzle with sesame oil.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Asian Noodle, Tofu, and Vegetable Stir-Fry Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Main Dishes