A good recipe enjoyed by our family. I used spaghetti, since I did not have the rice noodles. I cooked the pasta only part way and let it finish in the oven. My husband is not a huge fan of curry, so I only used Â½ teaspoon and added 1T of hoisin sauce. I added red pepper strips to boost the vegetables. Next time I will add some water chestnuts for crunch.
Asian Meatballs with Mushrooms and Rice Noodles
So much Asian food is prepared by stir-frying in a wok that we tend to forget how many other dishes are powered by steam. Here's a twist on turkey-and-mushroom meatballs taken on a trip along the old spice route.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 383
- Calories from fat: 10%
- Fat: 4.2g
- Saturated fat: 0.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 28g
- Carbohydrate: 59.5g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Cholesterol: 60mg
- Iron: 2.2mg
- Sodium: 630mg
- Calcium: 23mg
- 1 regular-size foil oven bag
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 pound ground turkey breast
- 1/4 cup finely diced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, divided
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 4 cups hot water
- 4 ounces uncooked rice sticks (rice-flour noodles) or cooked vermicelli
- 1/4 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 1/4 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Coat the inside of the oven bag with cooking spray. Place bag on a large shallow baking pan.
- Combine ground turkey, diced mushrooms, green onions, 2 teaspoons cornstarch, 1 teaspoon soy sauce, and sesame oil in a bowl, and shape into 16 (1-inch) meatballs. Place meatballs on a single layer of wax paper.
- Combine hot water and rice sticks in a bowl, and let stand 15 minutes. Drain well, and snip with scissors twice. Combine 1 teaspoon cornstarch and broth in a large bowl. Add 2 teaspoons soy sauce, sherry, and lime juice. Add rice sticks, sliced mushrooms, ginger, curry, and garlic, and toss well.
- Place the noodle mixture in the prepared oven bag. Place the meatballs on noodle mixture, and fold edges of bag over to seal. Bake at 450° for 20 minutes or until the meatballs are done. Place the oven bag on platter, cut open with a sharp knife, and peel back foil. Sprinkle with minced cilantro.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note