Asian Hummus and Grilled-Vegetable Sandwiches
Notes: Garnish sandwiches with sprigs of fresh herbs if desired.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 442
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Protein: 16g
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated fat: 1.7g
- Carbohydrate: 67g
- Fiber: 8.2g
- Sodium: 1170mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1 can (15 oz.) garbanzos, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup prepared Asian peanut sauce
- 5 zucchini (about 1/4 lb. each)
- 1 red onion (3/4 lb.)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 pocket breads (about 6 in.)
- 1 firm-ripe tomato (about 3/4 lb.), rinsed, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups (about 2 oz.) alfalfa sprouts, rinsed and drained
- 1. In a blender or food processor, purée garbanzos and peanut sauce, scraping hummus mixture from container sides as needed.
- 2. Trim and discard zucchini ends. Cut zucchini lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices. Cut onion crosswise into 1/2-inch slices. Brush vegetables lightly with olive oil.
- 3. Place zucchini and onion slices on a barbecue grill over a solid bed of hot coals or high heat on a gas grill (you can hold your hand at grill level only 2 to 3 seconds); close lid on gas grill. Cook vegetables, turning to brown evenly, 10 to 12 minutes, transferring to a plate as cooked.
- 4. Spread cupped side of each pocket bread with 1/4 of the hummus and set on plates. Top each bread equally with zucchini, tomato, onion, and alfalfa sprouts. Eat with knife and fork.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note