Asian Five-Spice Vinegar
Yield: 1 cup
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon broken star anise pieces
- 1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon pink peppercorns
- 5 cilantro sprigs
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a nonaluminum saucepan; simmer over low heat 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and cool. Pour into a widemouthed jar; cover and let stand for 2 weeks in a cool, dark place, gently shaking jar occasionally.
- Strain the vinegar mixture through a cheesecloth-lined sieve into a glass measure or medium bowl; discard solids. Cut 1 strip from rind of lemon; cut into very thin slices to equal 1 teaspoon. Pour vinegar into a decorative bottle; add pink peppercorns, lemon rind strips, and cilantro. Seal with a cork or other airtight lid; store in a cool, dark place.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sauces/Condiments