this is an awesome dish! great for company! i have been making this since the recipe first came out, and it's one i follow the directions exactly. it is time consuming, but if you plan ahead it works out fine. stellacorona
Asian Chicken over Noodles
Stewing a whole chicken in a soy sauce-based broth yields a juicy, flavorful bird. In this recipe, you serve the meat over cellophane noodles with crisp cucumbers. You could instead serve the chicken with its cooking liquid as a dipping sauce.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 220
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fat: 6.6g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Protein: 19.1g
- Carbohydrate: 18.8g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Cholesterol: 48mg
- Iron: 1.1mg
- Sodium: 1005mg
- Calcium: 25mg
- 3/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sake (rice wine)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons (1/4-inch) slices peeled fresh ginger
- 1 whole garlic head, cloves separated, crushed, and peeled
- 1 (3 1/2-pound) whole chicken, skinned
- 4 ounces cooked bean threads (cellophane noodles)
- 2 cucumbers, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and thinly sliced (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts
- Combine soy sauce, water, and next 4 ingredients (water through garlic) in a large Dutch oven, and bring to a boil. Remove from heat; cover and steep for 10 minutes.
- Add chicken, breast-side down; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes, turning chicken every 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat; let chicken stand, breast-side down, for 20 minutes. Transfer chicken to a cutting board, reserving cooking liquid; cool completely. Strain cooking liquid through a sieve into a bowl; discard solids. Return liquid to pot; bring to a boil. Cook until reduced to 3/4 cup (about 15 minutes).
- Remove chicken from bones, and cut meat into bite-sized pieces. Discard the bones. Place noodles on a platter, and top with chicken, cucumbers, green onions, and peanuts. Drizzle with the reserved cooking liquid. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note