- 3/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sake (rice wine)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons (1/4-inch) slices peeled fresh ginger
- 1 whole garlic head, cloves separated, crushed, and peeled
- 1 (3 1/2-pound) whole chicken, skinned
- 4 ounces cooked bean threads (cellophane noodles)
- 2 cucumbers, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and thinly sliced (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts
- calories 220
- caloriesfromfat 27 %
- fat 6.6 g
- satfat 1.5 g
- monofat 2.7 g
- polyfat 1.7 g
- protein 19.1 g
- carbohydrate 18.8 g
- fiber 0.8 g
- cholesterol 48 mg
- iron 1.1 mg
- sodium 1005 mg
- calcium 25 mg
How to Make It
Combine soy sauce, water, and next 4 ingredients (water through garlic) in a large Dutch oven, and bring to a boil. Remove from heat; cover and steep for 10 minutes.
Add chicken, breast-side down; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes, turning chicken every 15 minutes.
Remove from heat; let chicken stand, breast-side down, for 20 minutes. Transfer chicken to a cutting board, reserving cooking liquid; cool completely. Strain cooking liquid through a sieve into a bowl; discard solids. Return liquid to pot; bring to a boil. Cook until reduced to 3/4 cup (about 15 minutes).
Remove chicken from bones, and cut meat into bite-sized pieces. Discard the bones. Place noodles on a platter, and top with chicken, cucumbers, green onions, and peanuts. Drizzle with the reserved cooking liquid. Serve immediately.