Photo: Michael Kraus; Styling: Roscoe Betsill
Yield: Makes 1 (1 1/2-pound) loaf
More From Coastal Living
Rise: 1 Hour, 10 Minutes
Bake: 45 Minutes
- 1 (1/4-ounce) package or 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup warm water (105° to 110°)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 1/4 cups bread flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Asiago or Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1. Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Stir in olive oil. Stir in flour and next 3 ingredients until a soft dough forms.
- 2. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in 1 cup cheese; knead 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Shape dough into a ball, and place in a lightly greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk. Punch dough down.
- 3. Shape dough into a round loaf, and place on bottom of bread cloche sprinkled with flour. Cover with bread cloche dome lid. Let rise 25 minutes.
- 4. Preheat oven to 450°. Cut 3 or 4 (1/4-inch-wide) slices into top of loaf. Combine egg and 1 tablespoon water; brush on top of dough. Sprinkle loaf with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake, covered with bread cloche dome lid, 45 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped; let cool.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note