These potatoes are fabulous! They take a bit of time to make, but are definitely worth it. I made them for brunch and they were a big hit; these potatoes are certainly worthy of a special occasion. I'll make this again.
Asiago, Potato, and Bacon Gratin
Randy Mayor; Jan Gautro
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 250
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 8.2g
- Saturated fat: 4.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 12.3g
- Carbohydrate: 31.9g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Cholesterol: 23mg
- Iron: 0.9mg
- Sodium: 618mg
- Calcium: 306mg
- 1 1/2 pounds peeled Yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk, divided
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated Asiago cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes or until potatoes are almost tender. Drain. Sprinkle potatoes evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt; set aside and keep warm.
- Heat a medium saucepan coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Add shallots; cook 2 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Sprinkle flour over shallots. Gradually add 1/2 cup milk, stirring with a whisk until well blended. Gradually add remaining 1 1/2 cups milk, stirring with a whisk. Cook over medium heat 9 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in 3/4 teaspoon salt, Asiago, chives, pepper, and bacon.
- Arrange half of potato slices in an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Pour half of cheese sauce over potato slices. Top with remaining potato slices and cheese sauce; sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and lightly browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables