Asiago and Balsamic Caramelized Onion Focaccia
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 160
- Calories from fat: 23%
- Fat: 4.1g
- Saturated fat: 1.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 4.6g
- Carbohydrate: 26g
- Fiber: 1g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 288mg
- Calcium: 46mg
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extravirgin olive oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons honey, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1 1/4 cups warm water (100° to 110°)
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (about 17 ounces), divided
- Cooking spray
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated fresh Asiago cheese
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, 1 tablespoon honey, and thyme; cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in vinegar and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cool completely.
- Dissolve yeast and remaining 1 tablespoon honey in 1 1/4 cups warm water in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add onion mixture, remaining 2 tablespoons oil, remaining 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, and 3 1/2 cups flour to yeast mixture; stir until a soft dough forms. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 8 minutes). Add enough of remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands.
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in size. (Gently press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, dough has risen enough.) Punch dough down; cover and let rest 5 minutes. Gently press dough into a 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise 25 minutes or until almost doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Sprinkle dough with cheese. Bake at 400° for 18 minutes or until browned. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely on rack.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This