Quick and simple, but something unique. The dressing was simple and I thought this would need more flavor, but a little extra fresh ground pepper at the table was all this needed. I never buy apricots, but they were on sale at Spounts this week. Would have never thought to put them in salad if I hadn't seen this recipe. YUM!
Arugula Salad with Chicken and Apricots
This main course salad is an ideal lunch or light supper option. Plums would be a delicious substitute for the apricots.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 243
- Fat: 12.9g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 8.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Protein: 22.2g
- Carbohydrate: 10.1g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Cholesterol: 54mg
- Iron: 2.1mg
- Sodium: 364mg
- Calcium: 86mg
- 2 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- Dash of freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups baby arugula
- 4 cups gourmet salad greens
- 3 apricots (about 8 ounces), pitted and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup thinly vertically sliced red onion
- 1. Prepare grill to medium-high heat.
- 2. Place chicken between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; pound each piece to 1/2-inch thickness using a meat mallet or small heavy skillet. Sprinkle chicken with parsley, tarragon, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- 3. Place chicken on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 4 minutes on each side or until done. Transfer to a plate; cool to room temperature.
- 4. Combine oil, vinegar, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and dash of pepper in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- 5. Combine arugula, greens, apricots, and onion in a large bowl. Pour vinaigrette over arugula mixture; toss well to coat. Place about 2 cups arugula mixture on each of 4 plates. Cut chicken breast halves crosswise into thin slices; top each serving evenly with chicken. Serve immediately.
- Wine note: In this salad, arugula's peppery bite is nicely balanced by fragrant herbs, sweet apricots, and grilled chicken. A great wine with a complexly flavored salad like this is pinot gris from Oregon. It has a fresh, clean feel and a creamy, fruity flavor. Two favorites: Lemelson Tikka's Run and Chehalem, both 2007 from the Willamette Valley, and both $19. —Karen MacNeil
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note