We love the flavor of preserved lemon and arugula both but had not thought to combine them in a salad. It was a delicious combination. We used Meyer lemon juice in the dressing and backed down the garlic just a tad so as not to overpower the more delicate Meyer flavor. We didn't add the preserved lemon to the dressing but used the very finely chopped peel to sprinkle over the salad before adding the dressing and tossing. Delicious. If you're not familiar with preserved lemons you'll need to know that you always use only the peel and discard all of the pulp of the lemon. Although the print recipe did say that, the instruction was in very small print in a note at the end. It will not be a good outcome if you use the pulp.
Arugula, Fennel, and Preserved Lemon Salad
Photo: Leigh Beisch; Styling: Dan Becker
Time: 15 minutes. Good-quality salt-preserved lemons really make a difference in this crisp salad.
Yield: Serves 10
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 119
- Calories from fat: 82%
- Protein: 1.2g
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Carbohydrate: 5.2g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Sodium: 129mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped salt-preserved lemon, preferably Meyer*
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 small bulbs fresh fennel, ends trimmed, some feathery tops reserved
- 2/3 pound arugula (2 to 3 bunches), ends trimmed, rinsed and spun dry
- In a medium bowl, stir together oil, lemon juice, preserved lemon, garlic, and pepper. Thinly slice fennel bulbs crosswise, discarding fibrous ends, and stir into dressing. Chop enough fennel fronds to make 2 tbsp.; put in large bowl with arugula. Add fennel mixture to arugula and toss gently.
- *Buy at a gourmet grocery store, make your own (see sunset.com), or order by mail from robertlambert.com ($12 for 8-oz. jar). Use only the rind; scrape out and discard the pulp.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads