- 1 red bell pepper (about 1/2 lb.), rinsed, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1 red onion (about 6 oz.), peeled and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced or pressed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (14 oz.) artichoke hearts, drained and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pimiento-stuffed Spanish-style green olives
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- 36 diagonally cut slices (1/4 in. thick) sourdough baguette (about 1 slender 8-oz. loaf)
- 1/2 cup grated asiago or parmesan cheese
- calories 34
- caloriesfromfat 29 %
- protein 1.3 g
- fat 1.1 g
- satfat 0.4 g
- carbohydrate 4.5 g
- fiber 0.4 g
- sodium 80 mg
- cholesterol 1.1 mg
How to Make It
In a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat, frequently stir bell pepper, onion, and garlic in oil until vegetables begin to brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Add artichokes, parsley, olives, and lemon juice, mixing well. Remove from heat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. If making up to 1 day ahead, cover and chill.
Arrange baguette slices in a single layer on a 12- by 15-inch baking sheet. Broil 4 to 6 inches from heat until toasted on 1 side, about 1 minute. Remove from oven and turn slices over.
Spoon artichoke mixture equally on untoasted side of baguette slices; spread level. Sprinkle with cheese.
Broil 4 to 6 inches from heat until cheese begins to melt and topping is hot, about 1 minute.