I'm gonna jazz it up a bit next time. This was very good, though it had no pizzazz. I'm going to use havarti cheese instead of cheddar next time, and I'm going to add some horseradish to the filling. Depending on my druthers, I might add more mustard. I like artichokes, but I am not infatuated with them. This recipe, the way it is written, is great for someone who absolutely loves artichokes. But I think it could use a few more strong flavors to take the artichokes out of the limelight just a little bit. I think the havarti might make it a little more buttery and creamy than the cheddar, and the horseradish might give it a little zing.
Photo: Oxmoor House
This quiche has a cheesy rice crust instead of a pastry crust, so not only is it a hearty meatless main dish, it’s also gluten free.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)
More From Oxmoor House
Amount per serving
- Calories: 169
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 3.5g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Protein: 10.4g
- Carbohydrate: 23.1g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Cholesterol: 11mg
- Iron: 0.0mg
- Sodium: 490mg
- Calcium: 0.0mg
- 2 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup egg substitute, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried dillweed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- Cooking spray
- 1 (14-ounce) can quartered artichoke hearts, drained
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Green onion strips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine rice, 1/4 cup cheese, 1/4 cup egg substitute, dillweed, salt, and garlic; press into a 9-inch pieplate coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 5 minutes.
- Arrange artichoke quarters on bottom of rice crust; sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Combine remaining 1/2 cup egg substitute, milk, and next 3 ingredients; pour over cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until set. Let stand 5 minutes; cut into wedges. Garnish with green onion strips, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note