This recipe is amazing. My first time cooking with fresh artichokes, not canned, and I was so struck by how meaty they are, not at all salty like their canned counterparts. But the real show-stopper here is the fresh dill, oh my goodness amazing. add in the toasted mustard seeds and this potato salad puts all others to shame.
Artichoke-Potato Salad with Toasted Brown Mustard Seeds
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 166
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 5.5g
- Saturated fat: 0.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.6g
- Protein: 5.1g
- Carbohydrate: 25.2g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Iron: 2.4mg
- Sodium: 522mg
- Calcium: 56mg
- 3 artichokes (about 3/4 pound each)
- 3/4 pound small red potatoes
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1 tablespoon brown mustard seeds
- 1/4 cup reduced-calorie salad dressing (such as Miracle Whip Light)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Cut off stems of artichokes; remove bottom leaves. Trim about 1/2 inch from tops of artichokes. Place artichokes, stem ends down, in a large Dutch oven filled two-thirds with water. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until a leaf near the center of each artichoke pulls out easily. Drain and rinse with cold water. Cool. Remove the bottom leaves and tough outer leaves, leaving tender hearts and bottoms; reserve leaves for another use. Cut artichokes in half lengthwise. Remove the fuzzy thistles from bottoms with a spoon. Coarsely chop artichoke hearts and bottoms. Place chopped artichokes in a large bowl.
- While the artichokes are cooking, place potatoes in a saucepan, and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until tender; drain and rinse with cold water. Cool. Cut potatoes into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Add potatoes and peas to chopped artichoke in bowl.
- Cook mustard seeds in a small skillet over medium heat for 1 minute or until toasted. Combine mustard seeds, dressing, and remaining ingredients in a small bowl, and stir well with a whisk. Pour over the artichoke mixture, and toss well. Cover and chill.
- Note: Substitute 1 cup of chopped drained canned artichoke hearts or bottoms for the fresh artichokes, if desired. If you are unable to find brown mustard seeds, substitute whole-grain mustard for the Dijon.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Artichoke-Potato Salad with Toasted Brown Mustard Seeds Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes Like This