Artichoke Hearts Romano
With a zippy marinara sauce for dipping, these golden, breaded artichoke quarters make a unique and popular appetizer. From Anthony Greco: Saylorsburg, Pennsylvania Recipe published in Taste of Home April/May 2010. Artichoke bottoms may be used, starting with step 3, cutting prep to 0.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 6 large artichokes
- 1/4 cup(s) chopped onion
- 2 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 16-ounce can(s) crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup(s) water
- 2 tablespoon(s) dry red wine
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) crushed red pepper flakes
- For Cooking:
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon(s) milk
- 1 cup(s) seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon(s) grated Romano cheese
- 1 tablespoon(s) minced fresh parsley
- 1 dash(es) pepper
- 1/4 cup(s) canola oil
- • Using a sharp knife, level the bottom of each artichoke and cut 1 in. from the tops. Using kitchen scissors, snip off tips of outer leaves. Place artichokes in a large saucepan; add 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until leaves near the center pull out easily.
- • Invert artichokes to drain for 10 minutes. With a spoon, carefully remove the fuzzy centers and discard. Cut artichoke hearts into fourths.
- • In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add remaining sauce ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- • In a shallow bowl, whisk egg and milk. Combine the bread crumbs, cheese, parsley and pepper in another shallow bowl. Dip artichoke pieces in egg mixture, then coat with crumbs. In a large skillet, cook artichokes in oil for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Serve immediately with sauce.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note