More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 151
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 4.4g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 17.2g
- Carbohydrate: 10.8g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Cholesterol: 48mg
- Iron: 1.3mg
- Sodium: 453mg
- Calcium: 194mg
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 2 bacon slices
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and finely chopped
- 1/2 pound lump crabmeat, shell pieces removed
- 4 egg whites (at room temperature)
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Cut a piece of foil long enough to fit around a 2-quart soufflé dish, allowing a 1-inch overlap; fold foil lengthwise into thirds. Lightly coat one side of foil and bottom of dish with cooking spray. Wrap foil around outside of dish, coated side against dish, allowing it to extend 4 inches above rim to form a collar; secure with string or masking tape.
- Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon from skillet, reserving 1 tablespoon bacon fat in skillet. Crumble bacon, and set aside. Add onion to bacon fat in skillet, and sauté 2 minutes or until tender. Add flour, and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly with a wire whisk. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil over medium heat, and cook 1 minute or until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Place egg substitute in a large bowl. Gradually add hot milk mixture to egg substitute, stirring constantly with a wire whisk. Stir in bacon, cheese, salt, peppers, artichokes, and crabmeat; set aside.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed of a mixer until stiff peaks form. Gently stir one-fourth of egg white mixture into milk mixture. Gently fold in remaining egg white mixture.
- Pour mixture into prepared soufflé dish. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°, and bake an additional 45 minutes or until puffed and golden. Carefully remove foil collar, and serve immediately.
- Note: To make individual soufflés, prepare 6 (8-ounce) ramekins as directed above. Divide soufflé mixture evenly among ramekins, and place on a large baking sheet. Bake as directed above.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This