This was REALLY tasty. I made some substitutions based on what I had on hand: Didn't have Bijol seasoning, so used adobo seasoning and an extra pinch of saffron; didn't have jarred sofrito, so sauteed an onion, a red pepper, and some jarred picante sauce; didn't have time to marinate the chicken, so tossed the marinade ingredients in with the rice; didn't have pimientos, so used pimiento stuffed olives. Even with all these changes, it came out really good. My hubby is usually not a fan of Latin food, and even he raved about it.
Arroz con Pollo (Chicken with Rice)
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 2 chicken pieces and about 2/3 cup rice mixture)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 472
- Calories from fat: 17%
- Fat: 8.7g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Protein: 37.1g
- Carbohydrate: 57.8g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Cholesterol: 122mg
- Iron: 5.2mg
- Sodium: 773mg
- Calcium: 32mg
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon Bijol seasoning
- 6 chicken drumsticks (about 1 1/2 pounds), skinned
- 6 chicken thighs (about 2 pounds), skinned
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups uncooked Valencia rice or other short-grain rice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons commercial sofrito (such as Goya)
- 1/2 teaspoon Bijol seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads (optional)
- 1/2 cup frozen petite green peas, thawed
- 1 (7-ounce) jar sliced pimiento, drained
- To prepare the chicken, combine first 7 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag; seal and marinate in refrigerator 1 hour, turning bag occasionally. Remove the chicken from the bag, reserving the marinade.
- To prepare the rice, place rice in a colander in a large bowl, and rinse with cold water until the water runs clear. Drain rice well.
- Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the drumsticks, and cook 5 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove from pan; keep warm. Repeat procedure with 1 teaspoon oil and thighs. Remove from pan; keep warm.
- Add reserved marinade, rice, chicken broth, sofrito, Bijol, and saffron threads (if desired) to pan. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes. Stir in peas and pimiento; let stand, covered, 10 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Arroz con Pollo (Chicken with Rice) Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Main Dishes