- 2 whole chickens, each cut into 8 pieces (about 6 lbs.), trimmed of excess fat
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, sliced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
- 3 cups long-grain rice
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- calories 494
- fat 11 g
- satfat 3 g
- protein 52 g
- carbohydrate 44 g
- fiber 2 g
- cholesterol 153 mg
- sodium 330 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 350°F. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Melt butter with oil in a large ovenproof pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
Working in batches, add chicken and cook, turning often, until browned on all sides, 7 to 10 minutes. Remove to a platter.
Pour off all but about 2 Tbsp. fat from pot and add onions, celery, carrots, bell peppers and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until softened, approximately 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, rice, 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Pour in broth, increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
Return chicken to pot, cover and transfer to oven. Cook until chicken and rice are done, about 40 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Serve on a large platter garnished with parsley.