- 4 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked short-grain white rice
- 2 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 (14-oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (12-oz.) can evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 to 2 tablespoons granulated sugar (optional)
- ground cinnamon (optional)
How to Make It
Combine water, rice, and cinnamon sticks in a large heavy saucepan; let stand 30 minutes. Bring rice mixture in pan to a boil over medium-high; reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring often, 20 minutes.
Whisk together whole milk and egg in a medium bowl; gradually stir into rice mixture. Bring to a boil over medium-high; reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring often, 5 minutes. Stir in sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, raisins, vanilla, salt, and, if desired, sugar. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high; reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring often, until mixture is very thick and creamy, 25 to 30 minutes. Serve warm. Sprinkle with cinnamon, if desired.
Note: This can also be served room temperature or chilled.